Posting ID: 22-02
Casual (up to 44 hours / week)
This position has been deemed safety sensitive by the employer and as such
is subject to reasonable cause and post-incident drug and alcohol testing
At the City of Leduc, our mission is People. Building. Community. We offer a collaborative and dynamic workplace where our values of Teamwork, Service, Respect and Leadership guide our conduct and contribute to a healthy culture. We strive to offer the best aquatic experience, including the best lessons, safest swims, and cleanest facilities. If you would like to work as part of a progressive organization and enjoy a fast-paced environment, then this may be the opportunity for you.
We are currently recruiting for a casual Junior Instructor at our Leduc Recreation Centre.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Lead Instructor on duty, this position is responsible for providing high quality instruction for a variety of aquatic programs and promoting a safe, enjoyable aquatic experience for facility users.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Instruct aquatic lessons for children, youth and/or adults, schools and other community-based groups
- Greet participants and ensure any required information is shared
- Prevent injuries by providing public education, enforcing safety rules and regulations and recognizing and responding appropriately in the event of an emergency
- Recognize and respond to incidents requiring first aid or other safety-related concerns
- Maintain a clean and safe environment in and around the water for users
- Work with your team and supervisors to remain current on operational procedures, first aid and rescue skills
- Provide users with the highest quality of customer service and create a valuable and positive experience
- Maintain a positive attitude and always portray a professional image when dealing with the public
You are an ideal candidate if you have the following:
- At least 15 years of age
- A positive and energetic personality who is hard working and team-oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a proven commitment to customer service
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment by multi-tasking and efficiently prioritizing workload
- A commitment to ongoing learning and skill development, including the ability to complete monthly fitness and knowledge skills tests, attend all required training and in-service sessions and complete additional courses or certifications as required
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as required
- Must be flexible to attend training sessions outside of typical work week hours, as required
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
- Standard First Aid or Aquatic Emergency Care (AEC)
- Specialty certifications such as First Aid Instructor are considered assets
- Junior Instructors are needed to fill a variety of shifts and must be available to work a flexible schedule, including a variety of morning, mid-day, evening and weekend shifts
- Must commit availability to work at least one evening shift and one weekend shift per week
- The number of hours of work per week may vary based on operational need and cannot always be projected
- Preference will be given to candidates with open availability
- An additional $1.00/hr shift premium for hours worked before 7:00 a.m. and after 6:00 p.m. daily
- Annual deck footwear allowance and instructor rashguard provided
- Free annual LRC membership
- Paid training and recertification (time and course fees)
- Opportunities to learn and grow within the organization
- A dynamic, fun, fast paced work environment
Join our Team!
Come and be a part of an energetic team where we work together to have fun and provide the best aquatic experience for our patrons. If you are a positive, customer focused individual, we would love to hear from you!
To apply, please visit our website at www.leduc.ca/careers
Competition will remain open until suitable candidates are found. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies. Due to the high volume of resumes received, we are not able to respond to individual phone calls. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.